McNees announces new Baltimore County office with 14 joining from Sagal, Filbert, Quasney & Betten
April 24, 2023
TOWSON, Md. — (April 24, 2022) McNees Wallace & Nurick is expanding into Baltimore County, Md., with a team of seven lawyers and seven support professionals joining from Towson-based Sagal, Filbert, Quasney & Betten, P.A. (SFQB), effective Friday, April 28.
As its team moves to McNees, SFQB announced it will begin the process of concluding operations. McNees will occupy SFQB’s 4,810-square-foot offices at 600 Washington Ave, Suite 300, in Towson.
Attorneys Stuart Sagal, Daniel Quasney, Alan Betten, Kim Manuelides, Rick Grams and Christopher Merrill will join McNees as members, and Jakob Metz will join as an associate. SFQB’s seven support professionals, including legal secretaries, a billing and accounting coordinator, a receptionist and a title agent, will also make the move to McNees.
This is the second Maryland location for McNees, which will synergize with the firm’s team of eight attorneys serving clients from Frederick.
“The reputation and experience of the attorneys and professionals in Towson will bring immediate benefit to McNees’ existing clients and create a wealth of opportunities for collaboration with our existing teams in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.,” McNees Chair Brian Jackson said. “Their close community ties and deep knowledge of Maryland’s real estate and business law complement our growing Frederick team and furthers McNees’ purposeful investment in Maryland.”
The Towson team has a niche practice in property management law and has real estate, construction, commercial business and related litigation experience, strengthening McNees’ established Real Estate and Construction Groups. They serve a diverse range of clients – including developers, residential and commercial property owners, home builders, real estate investment trusts and managers of residential rental units, office buildings, shopping centers, warehouses as well as condominiums and homeowner associations.
In addition to its legal practice, the Towson team will help to expand McNees’ title company, Pine Street Land Company, which includes a team of Pennsylvania- and Maryland-licensed title agents that conduct commercial and residential real estate settlements.
Sagal, one of the principals of SFQB, said the move to McNees will present tremendous value and opportunity for clients.
“The access our clients will have to McNees’ deep bench of skilled legal professionals and additional resources will be an invaluable addition to the personalized service they have come to expect from our team,” Sagal said. “This is a strong fit, both strategically and culturally, because we share a deep and abiding commitment to exceptional client service, community involvement and work-life balance that recognizes the importance of health and family.”
With the Towson team on board, McNees will have 11 offices and a roster of more than 150 attorneys who serve a broad array of client needs – including real estate, construction, corporate, tax, labor, employment, energy, environmental and public finance. In addition to its legal practice, the firm has several ancillary businesses that provide additional value to clients with public relations, human resources and government relations needs, to name a few.
Here is McNees’ Towson team:
- Stuart Sagal is considered experienced and knowledgeable on Maryland’s residential and commercial property management-related laws, including those governing landlord/tenant matters, condominiums, homeowner associations, cooperatives and housing discrimination matters. Over the course of his extensive career, he has successfully argued before the Maryland Supreme Court. He earned his J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law.
- Daniel Quasney provides clients with strategic solutions to their unique and complex real estate and business matters, representing owners of land, residential rental units, office buildings, shopping centers, warehouses and commercial buildings; developers; home builders; and home buyers and sellers across Maryland in every aspect of their legal needs. He is a licensed title insurance producer with the Maryland Insurance Commission and earned his J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law.
- Alan Betten leverages his extensive knowledge of commercial real estate transactions and litigation to counsel clients throughout Maryland on the full range of legal matters typically engaged in by property owners, real estate investment trusts, realty advisors, developers, landlords, contractors, real estate brokers, asset managers, property managers and management agents. He earned his J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law.
- Kim Manuelides serves as a strategic partner to industrial and commercial clients that operate nationally, regionally and locally. She has a deep understanding of the Maryland statutes that overlay all types of real estate disputes, including landlord/tenant disputes, and provides clients effective and strategic litigation representation. She earned her J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law.
- Rick Grams is an experienced litigator who has handled all aspects of cases throughout Maryland and Pennsylvania in state and federal courts involving real estate, including residential and commercial landlord/tenant matters, condominiums, homeowners associations, fair housing and bankruptcy/creditors’ rights law. He earned his J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law.
- Christopher Merrill represents owners and managers of residential and commercial real estate throughout Maryland, including multifamily apartment complexes, residential rental properties, retail, office and industrial buildings, as well as homeowners associations, condominiums and community associations. As a licensed real estate broker, he relies heavily on his real-world experience to deliver practical and efficient results for his clients. He earned his J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law.
- Jakob C. Metz guides owners and managers of residential and commercial properties through Maryland’s property management laws and processes. Regularly appearing in court on behalf of his clients, he has successfully tried cases throughout the state. He earned his J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law.
Since January 2021, McNees has experienced significant growth strategically enhancing the firm’s range and reach of client services. The firm added attorneys and paralegals with significant hires in construction, real estate, corporate, litigation, data privacy and security, healthcare compliance, energy and environmental law. McNees also expanded its geographic footprint across Pennsylvania, in Devon, Chester County, and Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, and considerably grew its team based in Frederick, Md. The firm also launched four new ancillary businesses to meet client needs for public relations and strategic communications, municipal consulting, auto dealership transaction services and human resource management and strategy.
McNees is a multidisciplinary law firm founded in 1935 with more than 150 attorneys representing businesses, associations, institutions, municipalities and individuals. The firm serves clients worldwide from offices in Devon, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Pittsburgh, Scranton, State College and York, Pa.; Columbus, Ohio; Frederick and Towson, Md.; and Washington, D.C. McNees is a member of the ALFA International Global Legal Network.