Nick is a member of the Construction & Procurement Law Group and the Public Finance & Government Services Group at McNees. Nick brings first-hand industry experience to his law practice, where he assists businesses, non-profits, and government entities solve difficult problems and achieve their goals.
Nick’s practice is particularly focused on procurement matters, manufacturing, and the construction industry. Nick advises businesses and governmental entities on public procurement matters involving state and federal law. Nick also advises a number of manufacturers spanning a variety of industries.
In the construction sector, Nick represents project owners, contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers involved in commercial construction projects. Nick’s expertise includes construction contract drafting, licensure of professionals and contractors, DBE qualification, mechanics’ liens, surety bond claims, and dispute resolution involving mediation, arbitration, and litigation in state and federal courts. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Nick worked as a project manager for a large commercial general contractor serving the Washington D.C. and Baltimore metropolitan areas. Nick brings this invaluable experience to his construction law practice.
A snapshot of recent matters Nick has handled for McNees clients include:
- Recovering nearly $1M on mechanics’ lien claims for a service provider to the oil and gas industries in the Marcellus region.
- Successfully orchestrating and obtaining first-time certification as a WBE for a woman-owned business enterprise in the construction industry.
- Recovering $1M for a specialty blasting subcontractor that provided labor and materials in support of the construction of an interstate gas pipeline.
- Recouping $400,000 for an underground utility contractor pursuant to Pennsylvania’s Contractor and Subcontractor Payment Act.
- Drafting and negotiating the construction contracts for a significant facilities expansion by a major U.S.-based food processer.
- Defending a manufacturer in a product recall proceeding before the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Nick proudly serves on the Board of Directors for AmeriChoice Federal Credit Union and the ACE Mentor Program of Central Pennsylvania. Nick also is a member of the Professional Development and Education Committee at McNees.
When not assisting clients, Nick is likely fly fishing or spending time with his wife, their two young sons, and the family’s golden retrievers—Randy and Nina.
- Outside counsel for construction programs at several colleges and universities; overhauled construction contracting program for nationally prominent liberal arts college.
- Outside counsel to international trade association for manufacturers of pipe products.
- Defended owner of large interstate pipeline in construction dispute with general contractor alleging delay claims.
- Represented multi-national telecommunications company in administrative enforcement action relating to Pennsylvania procurement contracts.
- Pennsylvania counsel to national fitness center chain in construction related matters.
- Represented multi-state retail developer in tenant lease dispute and in tenant’s subsequent federal bankruptcy proceeding.
- Drafted lien waiver provisions in front end documentation for $1B EPC facility; advised project owner on state and local licensure requirements.
- Successfully defended multi-national HVAC equipment manufacturer in product defect litigation.
- Represented owner of $18M public facility project and favorably arbitrated claims exceeding $1M for alleged delays and unpaid change orders asserted by general contractor.
- Favorably settled claims from HVAC contractor on $15.1M public facility project.
- Recovered $1M in a mechanics’ lien action for specialty subcontractor on interstate natural gas pipeline project.
- Recovered $300,000 in a mechanics’ lien action for equipment supplier to oil and gas industry.
- Recovered $1M in a mechanics’ lien action for shoring supplier to Philadelphia casino project.
The Pennsylvania State University, Smeal College of Business, B.S., Operations and Information Systems Management (OISM)
The Pennsylvania State University, The Dickinson School of Law, J.D., Editor-in-Chief, The Yearbook on Arbitration and Mediation
American Bar Association – Forum on Construction Law
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Dauphin County Bar Association
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
All Pennsylvania courts